Sunday, July 4, 2010

"Sunday in the Park with George"



Today was a beautiful but hot Fourth of July in New York. We walked a tremendous amount. My dogs are dog tired. My dad has a pedometer that he clips to his belt sometimes just to see how far he walks in a day. I wish I had had it. I bet we walked six or seven miles.

This morning we had breakfast here at the apartment. The apartment owners' grown children own a coffee shop called Joe The Art of Coffee. They provided us with coffee beans and three different ways to prepare the coffee! After breakfast we headed up to Central Park and walked/ran (I mostly walked). We made stops at several spots along the way...like the sailboat pond, the Guggenheim, the reservoir, the artists' stands in front of the Metropolitan, and a hot dog stand!



We headed back to the apartment, showered and then around 3:00 grabbed a bite at La Bonne Soupe. H wanted to check out the Art Students League so we walked up to 57th between 7th and Broadway. We had not bought groceries so after that, we picked up a few things and then walked back to the apartment.

I had earlier checked out Redeemer's website and saw that Tim Keller's vacation begins tomorrow. (He is always off the month of July.) H and I excitedly went to the 6:00 service at Hunter College, but (I have to admit, I was a little disappointed at first) TK wasn't speaking. Scott Sauls, one of the pastors on staff, spoke. He was excellent though. H and I both really loved it. I was certainly one of the oldest there. There was quite a diverse group of young professionals. The music was jazz which was a great little twist on typical church music.

We walked back to the apartment. It was a little cooler by then. Dinner was hummus and wheat crackers. We toyed with the idea of going out for ice cream but we're pooped and decided to stay in. So until tomorrow....













1 comment:

  1. Love the blog! I'm imagining you guys getting accosted for shooting bottle rockets off your rooftop last night, and then giving the NYPD the ol' "it's legal back home" excuse. Did the city put on a cool fireworks display?

    ReplyDelete