Thursday, July 15, 2010

I'll Have an Espresso and a Belly Dancer on the Side

H went to ASL this morning and after class, brought home her painting. Tomorrow she's planning to start a new one. I went walking/jogging in the park. (I have to make a correction. The picture I posted a few days ago and said it was the Delacorte Theater where Shakespeare in the Park is performed was not correct. That's not the Delacorte.) After H got home, we went to Uncle Bill's favorite quick lunch diner, Viand Coffee Shop on Madison at 61st.

Then we took the train down to Spring Street so H could get more oil paint at Pearl Paint. On the way, we saw this photography shoot on the sidewalk on Mercer Street. I don't really know what it was about. One picture had this man holding a card that said, "#36." On our return, there was a different man in a suit posing.



Here's H in Pearl Paint. I got in trouble for taking a picture!

After getting her paints, we walked around and slowly made our way up to Bleeker Street and Leroy where we stopped at Rocco's. This is absolutely the coolest place. It's a narrow, Italian pasticceria with all kinds of Italian sweets and espresso drinks.








What follows is the weirdest thing I have seen in this city and I have seen quite a few weird things. While at Rocco's, there was a kids' birthday party (3-year-olds maybe?) in the back part of the shop. The entertainment was a belly dancer...not just a white woman who does it for exercise, but a bona fide Middle Eastern belly dancer who could trill. It would have made great David Letterman material, sort of like that smoking baby. The little kids were staring up at the dancer with their mouths open as she danced the Dance of the Seven Veils. H looked over at me after a while and said, "I had a hat party for my 3rd birthday."

You can't really get the full effect here because of the gold cape she's dancing with. Her costume was a red spangled bra and red harem pants. Did I mention this was a kids' birthday party? You know, they grow up so fast.


No comments:

Post a Comment