Thursday, July 8, 2010

The Scream




Some unfinished business from yesterday: my brother-in-law said I didn't mention whether we liked the show Promises, Promises. We did like it. Sean Hayes was hilarious and Kristin Chenoweth can sing like nobody's business. She's a tiny little thing. We've seen her in Wicked and The Apple Tree, but nothing really beats her singing "I Say a Little Prayer" in this show. I think Promises gets a lot of mileage from the popularity of Mad Men. The set and costumes are all from the 60's, much like the movie on which the play is based (The Apartment with Jack Lemmon). Because I rate everything and always ask my family to, I'll give Promises a 7.5 out of 10.







This morning we woke up to cloudy skies and finally around 9:30 it started to rain. The sky cleared by the afternoon and the temperatures dropped back down to a cool 85 degrees. H went to class. Here's the day's photo of her work.


I headed out to Juilliard's Music Store to browse their piano music. Along the way I ran into another green market on Broadway near Lincoln Center.



H and I met for lunch at Le Pain Quotidien. We then headed to MoMA to see the performance art installation by Yoko Ono, Voice Piece for Soprano, Scream: 1. against the wind 2. against the wall 3. against the sky.
OK. Here's how this works. In the huge atrium there is a microphone set up and a sign against the wall instructing you to scream against the wind, wall and sky.


People can go up to the live microphone and scream into it. I sat there on Wednesday and watched people walk up and blow into the microphone or make a tiny little sound, but no one would actually scream. (At one point when I was in the ladies' room I heard a man scream really loud. You can hear it all over the museum.) Well, you probably know where I'm going with this. H said she would do it. This first link is to a video where H starts to walk up, but a young couple walks up ahead of her. The second link is her actual "performance." Be sure to watch it a second time to see the reactions of those in the room.


Another exhibit, also by Yoko Ono, was outside in the sculpture garden. It was a tree with wishes hanging from it. Visitors could take a slip of paper, write a wish, and tie it to the tree. T, be sure to look closely and you'll see mine.



Here are some of the wishes that were on the tree. Odd spellings have been retained.

I wish we had cheese cake.

I wish I could git my Ears peireced.

I wish for me and my girlfriend to stop fighting.

End the occupation
Animal liboration
Death to capitalizon

I wish we could have a good time in New York.
Horatio

I wish for Christmas to come faster.

I'm Sara from Saudi Arabia.
I love ART! and appreciate
the work done.

I wish for perfect security and complete fulfillment.

I wish it weren't so hot.

This evening I went back to MoMA to listen to the live Brazilian music in the sculpture garden. The weather was fabulous and the music was good. Afterwards, I met up with H at the apartment where we ate dinner. We went out for gelato and then called it an evening.

2 comments:

  1. Ha ha! That video is hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my.....the scream reminds me of Uncle Barry's scream thing in his apartment.....you ARE his niece......Uncle BillyBob

    ReplyDelete