Wednesday, July 7, 2010

"Promises, Promises"

This morning I went to the last day of the scholarship students' art show at the Art Students League. I enjoyed seeing the exhibit and the building where H is studying. I even saw one of the "characters" she has told me about, sitting on the front steps.
H says the studio where her class meets is wonderful. It is on the top floor of the building and the ceiling is plexiglass so natural light floods the entire room. The floors are covered with paint that must be years old, and old (and new) masking tape marks the spots on the floor for the models and still lifes.
Below are pictures of the finished first project and the start of the second one.








After visiting the gallery at the Art Students League, I headed to one of the many green markets the city offers. This one was not very big but had quite a few good choices. I bought a fried apple pie for $3.50, took it to a nearby Starbucks, bought some ice tea, and sat there and ate the entire thing. It was so hot today that any place with air conditioning felt good.










On my way back across 57th Street, I noticed this sign on the side of one of the newspaper stands. Entrepreneurship is NOT dead in New York City!
After my fried pie and ice tea, I felt renewed. I headed to MoMA to finish the exhibit I had begun on Monday, "Contemporary Art from the Collection." There were quite a few interesting pieces. Below is exhibit A: A Venetian blind on the floor. Yes. You read that correctly.


After H finished with her class, we met each other at the 59th Street subway and went up to E.A.T. for lunch. Then we walked over to The Met to see the Picasso exhibit. There were 300 works, all from the Met's own collection. It was arranged in chronological order, so you finished the exhibit with a pretty good sense of Picasso's life's work.



The Blind Man's Meal


Seated Harlequin (done when Picasso was only 20 years old)

Woman in a Hat with PomPoms and a Printed Blouse

Portrait of Gertrude Stein



We headed back to our apartment after The Met, freshened up a bit, and then headed to the TKTS booth in Time's Square to see if we could get 1/2 price tickets to a Broadway show. We were able to get tickets to one of the newest musicals, Promises, Promises with Kristin Chenoweth and Sean Hayes (from "Will and Grace"). (Above picture: I am not sure about the dude behind H, but he must have been in town for the Mets game. I heard somewhere that Cincinnati was playing the Mets.)

Along the way, we stopped at this sign that tallies the national debt and displays it. I am sure it's very accurate.


This is a lovely shot of us in front of the theater. Just lovely.



Of course, after some of the girls in line see H pose for this, they do it too! It was a clever idea.
And now, to bed. I am beat.


2 comments:

  1. so how was PROMISES, PROMISES?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I realized I didn't say, so I went back and mentioned it in yesterday's blog.

    ReplyDelete