Friday, June 15, 2012

"The Rest of the Museum Is a Piece of [Expletive]"



This morning we headed down to SoHo.  I had not been down to this favorite part of Manhattan this trip. Tony's brother Bill is here for a few days so we headed down there together.  Below is a picture of West Broadway looking south toward the Financial District with the new "Freedom Tower" under construction in the background.





We decided to grab a bite to eat so we used the Zagat app on my phone. The Dutch is a place I have on my "To Try" list because of their French fries.  They won Best French Fry in New York Magazine's Best Of issue this year so we decided to go there.  Along the way we saw the old Vesuvio Bakery and decided we needed to stop there for a cookie at some point.









The Dutch's French fries were good but not really what I expected.   As Bill said, they were a lot like the old McDonald's fries from a long time ago.


Below... fire escapes along West Broadway





I have wanted for a while to go to the New Contemporary Museum.  How interesting that was! A lot of the installation I really didn't "get."  It was quite interesting though.








One installation was a gallery with what appeared to be bunk beds all painted black and strange objects around them.  There was a young couple in the gallery with us.  We looked at this and then quickly moved on to the next gallery.  While we were in the next one, we looked up and there was the young couple.  At first we couldn't figure out how they had "appeared" in the gallery where we were and then Bill said, "I think they crawled through that little trap door!"  And they had!  I went back and looked and really regretted that I had not spotted it and had not crawled through as they had!  


When we finished visiting all the galleries in the main building, we stopped on our way out of the museum at a  little gift area where I overheard a woman on the phone saying, "Yeah...the museum is basically a piece of [expletive] but the exhibit in the annex is great!"  I told Bill we had to go to the annex.  It truly was amazing...in a contemporary art sense.  There were about five different claymation videos playing on the walls and birds made out of a type of paper mache all over the space.  I really liked this exhibit.  It made the $12 admission fee worth it...almost.


An interesting shop in SoHo is Kiosk.  The steps leading up to the shop are covered with graffiti.







Below is one of Hannah's finds from last summer...Rice to Riches, a rice pudding "parlor."



We went to the Lincoln Center Theater to see Bernie and then had dinner at Boulud Sud where we sat next to Diane Von Furstenberg.  That has become one of my favorite restaurants in the city.


No comments:

Post a Comment