Wednesday, June 20, 2012

4000 Miles and 8000 Warriors

Last night on the way home after dinner, I took a few pictures.  I absolutely love the tall buildings in NY and could stare up at them until someone on the sidewalk knocks me silly.  Below is the GM Building at 59th and 5th.



 Everyone has a dog in Manhattan!  Even the mannequins in the Bergdorf windows!


This morning I checked the weather as I was getting dressed and had to pull off my jeans!  Where am I?  Louisiana?  It was really hot today with all the concrete absorbing the heat.



Last summer I tried to see an Off Broadway play entitled 4000 Miles about a young guy who, on a coast to coast bicycle ride, loses his friend who is riding with him.  The guy goes to visit his elderly grandmother in her West Village apartment in an effort to forget...to heal...to get a free lunch....and just to get some grandmotherly affirmation.  It's a rich story told through the dialogue of primarily the young man and the grandmother.  I loved it.  I have seen some really good plays this trip, and, ironically, the one I liked the least was the one that won the Tony for Best Play of 2012.  Go figure!


After the play, I went to the Discovery Center at Time's Square to see the terra-cotta warriors from China.  I know very little about China and its history.  I barely know the region of Chinese food I like (Schezuan)!  Because it was all relatively new to me, it was all very interesting and educational.  The 8000 or so warriors were around the tomb of the First Emperor of China, Qin.  Like the Pharaohs of Egypt, the Emperor was buried with all he would need in the after-life.  How interesting that almost every ancient culture believed this life was not all there was, that there was a life 
after this one. #John14:2
The three photos below are from the Internet and are of the warriors in their original setting.








 Above, a suit of armor made from small limestone squares, found in the First Emperor's tomb mound
Below, more photos of the exhibit, terra cotta figurines and six foot warriors with their horses
Qin's Dynasty was from 221 - 207 BC.
The terra cotta warriors were discovered when farmers were digging a well for water in 1974 and struck the neck of one of the warriors.  And the rest is, as they say, history.  















No comments:

Post a Comment