Saturday, June 4, 2011

Dining at Daniel


Tony and I started our day again in the park. We came upon a group of Mennonite women (I am guessing) touring the park. This woman stayed behind briefly to get some pictures. I thought it was kind of cool, a person who practically lives in another century here in the city touring and taking pictures.

I didn't do well with my picture-taking today. Here are a couple more from the park.



After we walked, Hannah met us at the Plaza Food Hall. She had never been and was curious about it and it's also a fairly quick place for lunch. Then she and I went to Bloomingdales to look for a dress for her. We had plenty of luck but it was all bad. A bit dejected, she headed back to paint.

Tony and I celebrated our anniversary this evening at Daniel. One of the highlights of the evening was when we sat down and were surprised (completely and totally) by some friends with a happy anniversary message and two glasses of champagne!




Here's what Tony had for dinner (taken straight from the online menu):

(We were both served an amuse bouche of a trio of tastings made from beets. I am not crazy about beets but I could have made a meal off these.)

DUCK TERRINE WITH SICILIAN PISTACHIO
Rose Petal-Poached Rhubarb, Black Cardamom Gelée, Young Mesclun

DUO OF BEEF
Black Angus Short Ribs with Beet Marmalade
Seared Wagyu Tenderloin
Braised Savoy Cabbage, Crispy Chickpea Panisse, Bordelaise Jus

For dessert Tony had a layered blackberry complicated looking tart (and tart is really not the right word). It was beautiful and delicious.

Here's what I had:

WATERCRESS VELOUTÉ
WITH LOUISIANA CRAYFISH

YELLOWFIN TUNA LA PLANCHA
WITH SWEET PEPPER RAGOUT
Marinated Anchovies, Chickpea Panisse, Mustard Salad, Ibérico Ham
Chicken Liver Royale, Crispy Cockscomb, Mousseron Mushrooms

For dessert I had a little chocolate cake with a gold leaf on top and molten fleur de sel caramel inside with a scoop (in the shape of a fat leaf) of ice cream. Now I can't remember the flavor, but it was all ridiculously good. We were also given a dessert for our anniversary along with these desserts. After dessert and with coffee we were served tiny, hot madeleines. Then we were brought a little tray of sweets to end the evening on. By the time I had finished, I thought I would have to be wheeled out. It was a lovely evening and a very memorable way to celebrate our 30th anniversary!

No comments:

Post a Comment