Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Lang Lang Unplugged


This morning Tony took a walk in the park without me.  I needed a break since I knew we would be walking a lot today.  He came back completely drenched!  It was so hot...and it was only a preview of how hot it was going to get during the day.

We took the subway down to Chelsea to visit galleries today.  Thankfully we were able to walk along tree-lined streets.  Many of the old brownstones have flowers in front and in their window boxes.  









This photo is for my aunt in Panama City who shares my love of Wise potato chips!  I did consider commandeering the van, taking it to some abandoned lot overlooking Jersey and raiding the snack stash.  "Leave the gun; take the chips."




We started our gallery tour with the Alice Neel exhibit at David Zwirner.  By far it was the best of the day.   I was introduced to Alice Neel by Hannah who has studied her portraits.  

Some of the gallery spaces were incredible.  This one, Klemens Gasser & Tanja Grunert,  was especially cool.  


The entire space was concrete.  This photo is of the lower level which, even there, had natural light.




This is Church of the Guardian Angel on 10th Avenue.





Some of the other galleries we visited were Zieher Smith (Chuck Webster paintings), Skoto Gallery (Wosene Worke Kosrof paintings...very cool), Metro Pictures (Cindy Sherman photos...capitalizing on her MoMA exhibit, I'm sure), Matthew Marks Gallery (Thomas Demand...a film , Pacific Sun, based on a video of a cruise ship caught in a storm.  It was filmed over 15 months, made on a full scale set and completely constructed of paper.  The film comprises 2400 frames filmed one at a time.  It was very cool!)  We also visited the Anish Kapoor exhibit at Gladstone Gallery (photo below) and the Richard Avedon at Gagosian.




Lunch was at Spice Market.





 There are all kinds of shops in Chelsea, some a little odd and some that you really don't "get" even if you go in and look around.  This "bookstore" was one of them.  We decided it was dedicated to the publications of underground artists.  Lots of little art pamphlets were strewn on the tops of tables.
We DID, however, "get" the front door stickers!  Here! Here!  Free Bates!




The reincarnation of Madeline Lee...and she was certainly the most obstinate of the four.


Back near the apartment on 6th Avenue.

We had tickets for Lang Lang at Carnegie Hall.  I was very excited about this concert but it serendipitously turned out to be even better than I expected because my friends Lynn and Jane E listened to the live feed of the concert from Carnegie Hall.  At intermission I discovered from my Twitter feed that they were listening so I called Lynn.  She told me all about the commentary and the interactive Twitter conversation going on.  I also saw on my Twitter feed that Ivanka Trump was there but we never saw her!  
Lang Lang was incredible.  The place was packed out.  He walked out onto the stage around 8:06, sat down and started playing Bach's Partita No. 1 in B-flat Major.  Then he took a brief break, walked back out and played Schubert's Sonata in B-flat major which was beautiful, but everyone (according to the live Twitter feed) was anxiously awaiting the Chopin Etudes.  After intermission, he came out and played the Etudes.  He was just incredible!  You found yourself laughing or smiling and even crying a little during the Etudes.  He is a huge personality.  I'm so glad we got tickets!


The above picture is before the concert began.  Below is after the Bach piece.


Tony had the idea for me to walk down a little for a picture of me and the stage in the background. 


The photo below is after the Chopin.  



 He played two encores by Liszt, Romance S. 169 and La Campanella.  It will be a night to remember!



And what better way to end a great evening than with pommes frites?!


No comments:

Post a Comment