Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Memorial Day 2012

Again this morning, Memorial Day, we took a walk in the park.  When I saw all the folks getting ready for picnics, I thought of Memorial Day 26 years ago when my mom, a family friend, Tony and I and Barry had a picnic in the park.  I always miss Barry when I'm in NY and think about him often.



We stopped on our walk and took some pictures of Cleopatra's Needle.  Built in Egypt in 1500 BC, this obelisk was a gift from Egypt and was erected in the park in 1881.








Lots of sunbathers were out in the park today.






A special effect with a picture of The Great Lawn


After walking in the park, we had lunch and then headed to the Met to see the Stein Collection and the new American Wing.




What a piano!  To get to the American Wing we had to go through the Musical Instruments galleries.  I had never seen these before.  Maybe this should be a "Pop Up Piano" in Central Park with the instructions "Please cover with tarp in case of rain.  Very old and valuable."  


The newly refurbished Washington Crossing the Deleware is magnificent.  The frame is almost as impressive as the painting.




A Washington portrait by Stuart Little...I mean Gilbert Little...I mean Gilbert Stuart.

I still have photos to work on for my Dear Photograph project.  This is much harder than it looks!  I think you need to know something about photography to line this up just right and I know nothing!  My little Canon set to automatic isn't cutting it with this project, but it's still fun.  The old photo was taken in the winter of 1986 and there was 8 inches of snow on the ground in Central Park, which for me at that time was the most snow I had ever seen in my entire life (that I could remember).




Here are just a few of the paintings we saw in the Stein Collection exhibit at the Met.




LOVE sculpture on 6th Avenue at 55th Street.  Another photo app!



Tonight we had reservations at The Lion for dinner.  I was struck with nestalgia by the old signage for the C.O. Bigelow Drugstore on 6th Avenue at 9th Street, right around the corner from the restaurant.




 The Lion is a restaurant I have been reading about for several months.  It's in a beautiful brownstone and the interior dining room walls are covered with photographs.  I love crowded, loud restaurants so I expected this one to be exactly that; however, since it was a Monday night AND it was Memorial Day, there weren't many diners.  As a result we had really great service but it was rather on the quiet side.





My tuna was very good and Tony had a burger with pork belly on top.  Other than it being a challenge to eat, it was great he said...a 9 out of 10.  Thank goodness the little glass of pickles was separate from the burger.  When Tony orders a sandwich, he ALWAYS says, "And no pickle within the zip code please."


After dinner we strolled south along 5th Avenue to Washington Square Park and took some pictures.  George Washington seems to be a recurring theme this Memorial Day!






Before heading to the apartment, we stopped in for the view atop the Peninsular Hotel.



No comments:

Post a Comment