Saturday, July 9, 2011

If You Can't Stand the Heat...

Just a few more hours before I head home.  I couldn't wait for another try at the flea markets.  Since Hell's Kitchen is my favorite, I headed there first.


Today especially the neighborhood and flea market are named appropriately.  It's hot as Hell's Kitchen and there's no shade.  I had to buy a $5 sunhat from a vendor selling them for $20 but ("just for you!") I was offered a deal. I didn't pay $20 but I still paid $15 more than what it was probably worth...on a cool, cloudy day.  Today though was another story.


Hell's Kitchen Flea Market



After purchasing my hat, I passed this booth and was offered a Chinese Back Rub.  The guy out front stops you and does some kind of kung-fu on the back of your neck and the next thing you know, you're following him into the tent to join the other tense market goers.  He gives me the hard sell on the 20 minute massage as opposed to the 10 minute one but I stick to my guns here, even when this tiny little lady starts digging her elbow into my shoulder.  "Ve-dy tense.  Ve-dy tense.  Jus for you, 20 minute, 15 dolla!"  No thanks, I'll stick to the 10 minute one.  Then she does karate chops to my back, all the while I am sweating like I'm in Louisiana, not New York.  I lift my face when it's over (they kindly cover the face hole with a torn paper towel) and she looks at me, sees sweat pouring off of me, and makes some sound and then proceeds to wipe the sweat from my face with the paper towel.  I have to admit though.  It was a mighty fine back massage.


Here are some of the vendors' collections.  I love it!  There were lots of clothes, vintage of course.  And people were buying them.  I found a little funky red check skirt with red ric-rac and I tried it on under my dress but it didn't fit.  Too much me for the skirt.




No, didn't try on these!











I tried some of this ice cream not having any idea what to expect.  Holy Moly!  This is the BEST stuff.  You get a little cup of home made ice cream with a cookie of cookie dough in the center.  I had the lemon ice cream with the ginger snap cookie dough.  And yes Tony the thought of getting a parasite from the raw cookie dough did cross my mind but I figured at this point, a tape worm might be the quickest way to lose my NYC pounds!  






I spent more time at the guy's booth who sells old photos.  Last time I bought a few for an art project I have in mind and this time I picked up a few more.  A young woman was standing beside me going through the bins and she commented how fascinating the pictures were.  She was visiting from another country (not sure which but then it seems EVERYONE in NY is visiting from another country).  She said she was in journalism and just wanted a few of them for writing.  The last time I was at the flea market I thought how great lots of the pictures would be for writing prompts if I were still teaching English.  


Red door from the Church in the Village


I am not sure who this is or what he is doing but the young woman is taking his picture.  Some kind of model shoot.  Very dapper.


I loved this yellow door on Greenwich Avenue.


There have been so many crazy conversations I have overheard here.  Many are on cell phones and some between people on the street.  I wish I had a movie of the one-sided conversation this woman had with her dog before she picked her up.  
"You are not a baby!  I do not need to pick you up.  You silly thing.  OK.  I will carry you then, but you are not a baby!"  The dog looked at her like, Oh no?  Look who got picked up!

No comments:

Post a Comment