Monday, June 10, 2013

Killing Two Pigeons with One Stone

I decided to kill two New York pigeons with one stone this morning by putting on my running shoes and walking to Redeemer's 11:15 service on the Upper West Side.  Well, the sidewalks south of the park were really crowded with everyone getting ready for the big Puerto Rican Day parade that was to start at noon.  I was having to hoof it as it got closer to 11:15.  Finally I made it into the service and was shown a seat on the fifth row.  I sat down and realized I was sweating like I had been running in a marathon.  During the "greet your neighbor" part of the service, I had to apologize for sweating so to the girl sitting next me!  About 20 minutes into the sermon and I was still feeling sweat dripping from my hair onto my shoulder.  I felt like Jim from The Office when he rode his bike to work!  But at least I got my exercise in!

"Father" Tim did not preach but David Bisgove,the pastor of the UWS congregation spoke and he was really good.  They are teaching through Acts and have come near the end.  Very good stuff. 


I passed all kinds of beautiful brownstones on my way to the service.


And here is Redeemer's new building on the Upper West Side, on 83rd Street.



The quintet that played was incredible.  I stayed after the service to listen to the postlude.  The building has been renovated and very contemporary.  Below is a photo I took after the service had ended and I was listening to the last bit of music.


On my way back, I passed this bright red firehouse


...and the Natural History Museum




...and the New York Historical Society


...and this cool building which I don't know the name of.


I cut across the park and stopped in at Strawberry Fields and then walked through the mall and the Poets' Walk.


Everyone was out enjoying the good weather.

This picture is a panoramic I took with my iPhone.


And finally a few pictures from the top of the Peninsula Hotel.  The tall building in the background is the apartment building going up on 57th Street that had the crane dangling from it during Hurricane Sandy.



Below you can see 5th Avenue running all the way up the park, past Mt Sinai Hospital, the dark building rising in the distance.


No comments:

Post a Comment